Job Title: Carbon Reduction Consultant
Salary: £40K per annum plus annual bonus
Based: Manchester city centre offices with flexible home-working encouraged
About The Role
Helping our clients to create robust carbon reduction plans is core to the Positive Planet proposition. We are looking for someone to join our Business Sustainability Team to turn carbon footprint analysis into practical and pragmatic carbon reduction strategies for our clients. The role is customer facing and involves meeting with clients to help them understand the steps they can take to reduce their emissions. Our clients range from one-man bands to well-known brands, so you will be working with a wide range of organisations, from people/serviced based businesses, with small footprints, to larger clients with complex supply chains and broad product ranges.
You Will Be;
- Acting as an account manager for clients across various industries.
- Working closely with our Carbon Footprint Accountants to interpret GHG audits and analysis.
- Supporting our clients in identifying carbon hotspots and devising carbon reduction strategies at a high level
- Delivering climate action workshops and presentations to senior stakeholders, and consulting our clients on their sustainability journey
- Advising clients on the market launch of carbon-neutral products and services
- Providing insights on sustainability claims, communications and marketing initiatives based on core pillars of transparency and credibility
- Advising clients on credible green energy and offsetting strategies; guiding them through the various technologies (eg Nature-based solutions) and standards (eg Gold Standard) and helping clients to create bespoke packages based on their values and preferences
What we’re looking for in you
For this role, we are really looking for someone who has direct experience in implementing carbon reduction plans in varying business types. Ideally, you will have at least 2 years of professional experience in environmental/sustainability consulting, professional services or an equivalent in-house role. Plus the following essential criteria:
- You have an affinity for numbers, excellent analytical skills and are very comfortable using MSExcel to an advanced level.
- You are incredibly passionate about sustainability and climate change and are driven by a strong conviction for climate action.
- You are an excellent project manager and can manage complex projects effectively.
- You build relationships easily and believe in educating clients as a tool to build trust.
- You have exceptional communication skills and can communicate effectively with senior stakeholders and budget holders at management and board-level
- You have an entrepreneurial mindset, sense of responsibility and willingness to take initiative
- Your English language skills (written and verbal) are at a native level
We look for the following attributes in every person who joins our team:
- A genuine interest in other people and a natural curiosity to ask questions and find out more.
- A people person who can build strong relationships with colleagues and clients.
- High levels of energy, enthusiasm and determination to succeed.
- A passion for sustainability and a desire to have a positive impact.
- Will contribute positively to making Positive Planet better for your colleagues and our clients.
These are nice to have, but not critical skills
- You have experience in life cycle analysis, corporate social responsibility strategy, climate risk, CDP/TCFD reporting, natural capital accounting and/or biodiversity assessments
- You have a technical sustainability-related university degree or similar educational qualification
- Working knowledge of carbon offsetting and nature-based carbon reduction solutions.
- Deep knowledge of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
- Experience of delivering client-facing workshops to engage key stakeholders in the carbon reduction process.
- Experience of managing carbon reduction through external suppliers.
Positive Planet is one of the fastest-growing solutions providers for business climate action in the UK. We help small to medium-sized businesses and organisations to measure, understand and reduce their carbon emissions, as well as providing support in offsetting emissions to enable companies or products to become carbon neutral whist on a journey towards net-zero.
We combine ethical values with a modern, forward-thinking approach to business, to help create a more inclusive and sustainable future. We operate as a co-operative, where every employee has the opportunity to become a partner and share in the success of the company. Relationships are key to our success; be that with each other or our clients and our aim is to build positive, memorable interactions that inspire the businesses we interact with to embrace more sustainable business practices.
Why you should join our team.
Positive Planet is motivated by making a positive difference, we intend to reduce UK business carbon emissions by more than 3% over the next 5 years and in the process create a great business that also improves lives. We’re passionate about creating a company where people can build great careers and engage in meaningful work.
We value transparency and open communication and maintain a casual and easy-going work environment. We do not believe in hierarchy but rather in empowerment and individual responsibility to take leadership where it should.
Climate change is a complex issue and therefore this is a demanding work environment but at the same time, we offer exceptional career growth and a tangible opportunity to make an impact every day. Join us and you will receive extensive guidance, and supervision, and have excellent options for further personal development.
As much as we are passionate about climate action, we are also determined to create an inclusive workplace that values diversity and equality. We believe that diversity adds genuine value to Positive Planet and our mission to improve lives on our planet today and in the future. We strive to create an environment where anyone, from any background, can do their best work.
We are all unique, so we give equal opportunities to all applicants who we judge on skills, strengths and suitability without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or age.
What are the benefits of working at Positive Planet?
- Full-time permanent contract
- Salary: up to £40,000 per annum + annual performance-related bonus.
- Awesome offices in central Manchester (located near the Museum of Science and Industry).
- Flexible, home working encouraged.
- On-site gym, yoga and wellness activities.
- On-site bar and cafe.
- All team members get a free Positive Planet Carbon Neutral subscription.
- Opportunity to progress to Partner status with company shares.
- 25-days holiday per annum plus your birthday rising to up to 30 days depending on the length of employment.
- An additional day’s paid leave for doing something positive for the planet, or for someone else in need.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- Contribute to a more sustainable society.
- A flexible environment to start your own initiatives and develop your new ideas.
- Learn a lot, continuously.